Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Interview with Vicky Hall and her New Released Book, Rising Sun Falling Star



Vickie Hall.

Welcome and thanks for agreeing and being part of this blog.
I thought it a good idea to catch up with you and see what you are up to since the last time I reviewed a book for you back in November 2012, Secrets of the Red Box. You can read more about my review by following the link and the book is only 99 cents.

Now Vicky has done it again, busy with another book Rising Sun Falling Star which I am part of, my review will be available July 31, 2013. Be sure to look out for more information about it.

Here is what she has answered to my Interview Questions, enjoy

      1.       Are you famous is the general question I get when family and friends introduces me to their friends. It always left me with a pause as quick comebacks filters through my mind but ending up saying something like ….”Oh gee thanks” and give a shy smile. (a)Does this happen to you and (b) what do you say?

No one has asked me if I’m famous. Most of the time they’ll ask me what I’ve written, which I then explain. Then they’ll say, “Oh, I haven’t read any of those. I’ll have to check them out.” Or they’ll say, “You must be making a lot of money. When are you going to quit your day job?” That one makes me laugh. If they only knew.
  
      2.       In general, do you like to talk about your writing and published books, or are you very closed-lip about it? If not why?

I enjoy talking about my books, but try not to push if someone is not too interested in listening. I especially like discussing the book I’m currently writing because it gives me a gauge to measure interest.

     3.       What book/s are you currently writing and what is it about?

My current book takes place in 1910 Baltimore and is about a fake medium who is scamming the public by pretending to communicate with the dead. When a murder victim actually makes contact with her, she is drawn into finding his killer, turning her world upside down. It’s written with some humor and lightness, not a dark, spooky sort of book at all. I’m nearly finished, but have not been able to find the right title as yet.

I also have a completed book with my editor now titled: Rising Sun, Falling Star that will be available this summer. It’s the compelling story of a Japanese-American family imprisoned by the American government during World War II.



      4.       Why this particular genre?
I think I was born in the wrong era. I love the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s most and like to set my stories somewhere in that timeframe. Although I wouldn’t classify my writing as strictly historical fiction, there is definitely a historical aspect to my writing.

       5.     What inspires or motivates you to write?

I write first and foremost because I love it. Inspiration comes in the strangest ways and it is often predicated on the “what if” premise. “What if this happened…” or “What if someone…”

      6.       What is the writing process like for you?

Once I’ve settled on an idea, I’ll sit down and sketch out the characters and location. I want to know who my characters are, their background, their history, what likes and dislikes they have, their gifts and flaws. I make them as real as possible so that they can react in the story just as real people would. After that is done, and because my stories take place in a different era, I begin my research. I want to know all about the era, the fashion, the music, the politics, the history, the “feel” of the time. Then I can start writing, which I try to do every day.

       7.       What is the best and/ or worst part of being a writer?

The best part about being a writer is seeing my work available to readers. I derive a great deal of satisfaction from knowing that my stories can touch someone’s life.

      8.       Any advice for struggling writers?

Keep learning. Attend writing workshops, conferences, critique groups. You can only get better when you open yourself to honest, if even painful, criticism. I think the notion still exists, that everyone’s first novel with take the world by storm. For some, that is true. But for most authors success comes more gradually. Be patient. Keep writing. Keep learning.

      9.       What is your favorite genre to read or write?

I enjoy suspense and am learning to incorporate more and more of it in my writing.

      10.   Favorite author?

         

Kristen Hannah

      11.   Do you have a favorite spot to read and write? 

I like to write in my recliner, using my laptop. I live alone, so it’s always quiet!

      12.   What do you like to do when not writing? 

In the summer I love to go camping with my family. I also enjoy reading, in my comfy recliner!



      13.   Do you have a bucket list and would you share at least two things on it?

I enjoy traveling. On my bucket list, I am visiting New Zealand and Japan, and having one of my books made into a movie.



      14.   What have you done so far on this list?
None yet, but someday…**smile**

      15.   Most daring thing or experience you have done you would like to share?

I flew in a stagger wing bi-plane, about 1920’s era. We flew from Nebraska to Idaho using landmarks only – no radar, no computers, no modern devices. It was thrilling!



      16.   This or that questions:
             ·         Coffee or Tea – neither, I only drink water
             ·         Sweet or sour – both
             ·         Home made meal or take out – home made
             ·         Winter or summer – summer
             ·         Night-owl or Early-Bird – night owl
             ·         Telephone or visits – telephone
             ·         Which social network do you prefer? Facebook
             ·         Blogger or website? both
             ·         What does your family say about your career? Supportive or Clueless
             Oh definitely supportive. My sister is my biggest promoter – she brags about me all the time!



And Finally
Moto/wisdom in life you live by. 

                One of my favorite quotes was written by George Eliot. It says, “It’s never too late to be what you might have been.” I love this sentiment because, although I struggled to become a published author early on in my life, it took over twenty years to accomplish that goal. I think a lot of people put their dreams aside, believing that it’s too late for them. In most cases, that’s simply not true!

Contact details and buy links of the newest books you would like the readers to know.

Buy Links: Amazon

Thanks once again for your willingness to share with me and the readers.
Thank you, Lynelle!






No comments:

Post a Comment