Sunday, June 2, 2013

Amber Lea Easton



I thought it a good idea to catch up with her and see what she is up to since the last time I reviewed Riptide, one of my first reviews I did.
You can read the review HERE. An excellent read from beginning to end.

Author’s Interview Questions
      1.      Are you famous is the general question I get when family and friends introduces me to their friends. It always left me with a pause as quick comebacks filters through my mind but ending up saying something like ….”Oh gee thanks” and give a shy smile, silly I know but the idea unsettles me. (a)Does this happen to you and (b) what do you say?

I do get this question, but I laugh it off. I usually say, “not yet, but Nicholas Sparks had better watch his back.”  Then I laugh again because I rarely take myself too seriously and want people around me to understand that. 

      2.      In general do you like to talk about you writing and published books or are you very close-lip about it? If no why? 
It really depends on who is around me.  If I’m around people who know me well and are in my inner circle, I talk about anything and enjoy talking about my novels.  However, there are people on my son’s lacrosse team, for example, who have no idea what I do for a living and I like it like that.  Why?  Because in certain situations I like just being Amber or “Ben’s mom” or “Briahna’s mom”.  It’s easier sometimes not to carry the title of author around my neck like a badge. Also I’ve been told it intimidates people--although I don’t know why--so I treat every situation as its own. 

            What book/s are you currently writing and what is it about?
3.
My next release is called Reckless Endangerment.

Colonel Michael Cedars is a wounded marine returning home from Afghanistan.  He’s partially paralyzed with his left leg, unsure how to fit into civilian life again after being career military and questions whether or not he’s fit to be married to his wife, Hope.

Hope Shane is a natural wild child.  She met the Colonel while working as a war correspondent, watched him get blown up and returned to Denver, Colorado to bring him home.  She’s an investigative reporter who becomes tangled up in a human trafficking story.  As far as Michael wanting a divorce and giving up on life, she’s not one to surrender the fight. That goes for the helpless victims in the story she’s chasing...nothing will stop her until she has truth and justice. 

As the danger of Hope’s story intensifies, Michael is tested more than he ever imagined.  Is he capable of being the husband she needs?  Will he hold her back or, worse yet, get her killed?  Is Hope and her penchant for finding trouble a liability he can’t risk? Or is he still the hero she claims him to be? 

Heroes come in many forms and range from the woman trying to hold her marriage together to the marine battling even after he’s come home.  That’s what the story is about...heroes.  Heroes and love--with a whole lot of danger, both emotional and physical, thrown in for fun.
 
      4.      Why this particular genre?
I love romantic suspense because I think it combines the best of both genres.  I thoroughly enjoy a good page turner.  Romantic suspense brings forth the sizzle and emotional connection of a good love story coupled with mystery and tension of a great suspense novel.  Win-win as far as I’m concerned.  It’s just as much fun to write as it is to read.  I get a thrill out of tossing my characters into a nightmare and seeing how they’ll get out alive and in love. 



      5.      What inspire or motivate you to write?
It’s a high higher than can be achieved through any substance.  Writing is an addiction--I’m happiest when in the flow and creating.  What’s a greater motivation than happiness?

      6.      What is the writing process like for you?
I work odd hours, usually at night when the house is completely quiet and I don’t need to worry about
interruptions.  I don’t outline or plot before sitting down with a new idea.  I simply have an idea of the characters, see the big picture in my mind and begin writing.  I allow the first draft to unfold at will, but am a big reviser.  I will revise a novel multiple times, cut scenes, combine characters, add scenes or whatever it takes to make it flow.  With Reckless Endangerment, I cut the last chapter at least four times before I finally got it the way I wanted.  With Riptide, I did, too.  There are five alternate endings to Riptide on my computer, but I will say I am thrilled with the one that made it to the final cut. 

      7.      What is the best and/ or worst part of being a writer?
The best part is indulging the creativity, completely surrendering to it.  The worst part is time management challenges.  I know some people say the worst part is marketing, but I disagree. I enjoy talking to readers, bloggers, fellow authors, interviewers, etcetera.  My time management skills suck, though.  Right now finding the balance between creating and marketing is the worst part, but I’m working on it.  I’m sure I’m making it more complicated than it needs to be.

      8.      Any advice for struggling writers?
Yes, don’t underestimate the impact of a good editor.  Don’t rely on your friends or family for feedback unless they are in the publishing business.  As I stated above, this IS a business.  I’m a published author so my editor is through my publisher, obviously, and I value the feedback and insight tremendously.  If you’re having trouble getting published, hire an editor.  Also, if you’re going to critique groups, are they filled with other unpublished writers?  If so, find a new one.  The blind can’t lead the blind.  They may be good for emotional support, but you need to find a group of published authors to give you true insight into breaking into the business.   

      9.      What is your favorite genre to read or write?
Romantic suspense tops the list, but I like a variety of genres. It truly depends on my mood at the moment.  I also like romantic comedy, contemporary romance, suspense, thrillers, and true crime. 

      10.  Favorite author?
Early Nora Roberts, Heather Graham, MJ Rose, and David Sedaris (who is an essayist, but hilarious). 

      11.  Do you have a favorite spot to read and write? Share a photo if you have (included one of the view from my deck)


My office for writing and my deck for reading.  My office is complete with a rolltop desk, my cat Carl and a wood stove.  My deck has an amazing view of the mountain across the valley and, in the summer, is visited by butterflies and hummingbirds. 

      12.  What did you do before you became a writer?
I was a journalist--not much of a leap, I know. 

      13.  Was it a life long dream or triggered recently?
I’ve been writing stories in notebooks since I was nine years old. 

      14.  What do you like to do when not writing?
Hang out with my kids, go to movies, see live music whenever possible, hike, and travel as often as possible.  The picture I’ve included is of me (my foot) in the Dominican Republic. 



      15.  Do you have a bucket/ to-do list and would you share at least two things on it?
Yes, I want to tango through Argentina with the love of my life.  They have tango bars there so I’d like to start at the top and work my way down to the tip, then chill out at a resort in Patagonia. Second thing I’d like to do is hike up Machu Pichu. 

      16.  What have you done so far on this list?
I’ve done neither of those two things, but I have swam with sharks.  I’m proud of that.  I almost chickened out, but then I didn’t.  It was one of the most amazing experiences in my life to swim with sharks in the open water off the coast of Belize--on purpose.  Ha. It was either brave or insane, I’m not sure. 

      17.  Most daring thing or experience you have done you would like to share?
See above. Although, I sometimes think raising two kids solo after my husband’s death and not succumbing to madness is pretty daring. 

      18.  This or that questions:
·                            Coffee or Tea - Tea
·                            Sweet or sour – Sweet
·                            Home make meal or takeouts – Takeouts
·                            Winter or summer – Summer
·                             Night-owl or Early-Bird – Night-owl
·                            Telephone or visits – Visits
·                            Which social network do you prefer? Twitter
·                             Blogger or website?  Both
·                            What does your family say about your career? Supportive or Clueless  A little of both.  They try to be supportive, but they don’t get it. 



And Finally
Moto/wisdom in life you live by. 

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by things you didn't try than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."--Mark Twain

Contact details and buy links of the newest books you would like the readers to know.
Riptide’s book trailer: http://youtu.be/2YWX6FDUbfU

Visit Amber at:
Twitter - @MtnMoxieGirl

Thanks once again for your willingness to share with me and the readers.
As always support the authors whom have taken the time to write for your pleasure.

Next time I am hosting

Mira West
June 05, 2013







No comments:

Post a Comment