Thursday, April 18, 2013

In the Limelight with….. Rachel Brimble




Welcome Rachel to 'In the Limelight with... and thanks for being part of this blog.



As you know this is a celebration for my first year as a blogger and what a year it has been. When I started I had no idea what to do, what to write and start to search the social networks I were a member of to learn what I could say that would draw feet to my blog Aspired Writer.
Many authors were in need for a good reviewer and since I love books I offered my help, signing up with a Tour team and the rest is history. Over the year I had the privilege to receive and read good books and one was Rachel Brimble's Historical Romance. 
So here we are a year later with a lot of water under the bridge. When the time came to celebrate the blog's birthday Rachel was one of the first to respond and I am really happy to see her again. Life goes on and all of us had ups and downs so when the thought came to celebrate the blog I wanted to find out what she was doing in the year since the last time I reviewed Love's Debt.
This is what she replied to my questions.


  1. Are you famous is the general question I get when family and friends introduces me to their friends. It always left me with a pause as quick comebacks filters through my mind but ending up saying something like ….”Oh gee thanks” and give a shy smile. Silly I know. (a)Does this happen to you and (b) what do you say?

I’ve never been asked if I’m famous, but I do get asked if I earn a lot of money, lol! Clearly, the majority of people compare every novelist to J K Rowling or Nora Roberts – I often answer with, “Not a huge amount, but it’s growing!” This usually gives them pause for thought and then they are interested in what sort of books I write J

  1. In general do you like to talk about you writing and published books or are you very close-lip about it? If no why?

I’m getting better at this than I used to be – I think most writers are introverts and to talk about our achievements is extremely difficult. One of my New Year’s resolutions is to do some form of public speaking this year. I am petrified. My ‘baby step’ plan is to be part of a panel initially and then take it from there. Word of mouth is still the biggest selling tool in publishing and readers like to physically ‘see’ authors.

  1. What book/s are you currently writing and what is it about?

My current work in progress is what I hope will be book three in my ongoing Templeton Cove series with Harlequin Superromance. The proposal for this book and book four is currently with my editor and I’m hoping a lovely new contract will drop into my inbox any day now.

This book is the first mainstream romance in the series (the first two are romantic suspense) and the hero and heroine are brand new characters to the Cove. Sasha Robinson (heroine) is on a mission to get the local fairground back in her family after it was taken over by the local crime lord. Everything is going to plan and her goal is in reach…and then John Jordon, the crime lord’s only son and heir arrives (the hero), and Sasha’s plans are thrown into disarray.

Copyright © 2013 by Harlequin Enterprises Limited



  1. Why this particular genre?

I write mainstream romance, romantic suspense and Victorian romance – my latest release is “The Seduction of Emily” with eKensington. I love writing alternate contemporary and historical because it keeps the writing fresh for my readers and me.

  1. What inspire or motivate you to write?

I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom and I work around the family – I don’t take this luxury for granted and treat my writing as a full-time job. This means I don’t wait for inspiration to strike, I just have to get on with it! During the week, I write from 8.30 to 3.30pm every day with a dog walk in between and then grab as much time as possible, (without my family noticing) during the weekend.



  1. What is the writing process like for you?

Hard! It never gets any easier but I love it J I start each book with either a setting or premise and then sit down and write character sketches for the hero and heroine, plus a villain if I have one. This usually raises the internal issues of each character. I then write a two to three page synopsis and dive straight in. I write the first draft from start to finish without looking back – the following drafts are for clearing up the mess!

  1. What is the best and/ or worst part of being a writer?

Best part is typing The End and then the cover art – I cannot get enough of that feeling of seeing your cover art for the first time J

Worst part is the ‘sagging middle’ – my books come in at around 85-90,000 words and every time I hit 40,000 words, everything seems to grind to a horrible halt. The only thing I can do is write through it and hope some of it is salvageable by the end.

  1. Any advice for struggling writers?

Keep writing! It’s the only way to finish anything and also learn how to do it better next time. There is a huge amount of fear attached to the dream of becoming a writer, but writing is a craft and it can be learned. I did!

  1. What is your favorite genre to read or write?

Romantic suspense for both – although I read anything and everything with the exception of paranormal/sci fi. My imagination doesn’t stretch that far…

  1. Favorite author?

Nora Roberts every time – especially love her romantic suspense and J D Robb In Death series.

  1. Do you have a favorite spot to read and write? Share a photo if you have

My conservatory – just love it when the sun is shining and I feel as though I’m in the garden even when it’s cold…which is a lot in the UK!



  1. What do you like to do when not writing? Share a photo

Read, knit and walk the English countryside with my family and beloved black Lab, Max J



  1. Do you have a bucket list and would you share at least two things on it?

To holiday in the Caribbean and take a trip to the States to meet my agent, writer friends and readers in person.

  1. What have you done so far on this list?
Secured an agent
Earned enough money to justify my writing
Booked a weekend away in Barcelona for hubby and me without the kids – we’re going in June to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary

  1. Most daring thing or experience you have done you would like to share?
 Sent off a manuscript, lol! I don’t lead the most exciting life, but I’m happy J

  1. This or that questions:
  • Coffee or Tea - Coffee
  • Sweet or sour – Sweet
  • Home make meal or takeouts – Both!
  • Winter or summer – Summer
  • Night-owl or Early-Bird – Early Bird
  • Telephone or visits – Visits
  • Which social network do you prefer? Twitter
  • Blogger or website? Blogger
  • What does your family say about your career? Supportive or Clueless Ultra Supportive

And Finally
Moto/wisdom in life you live by. 
“Set it up the way you want it to be.” Iyanla Vanzant

Contact details and buy links of the newest books you would like the readers to know.

Finding Justice – book one in the Templeton Cove series with Harlequin Superromance

Old friends, new secrets 
Sergeant Cat Forrester lives by her own set of rules. When her childhood friend is murdered, Cat's world is thrown into chaos. Especially because Jay Garrett-a man from her past-is a suspect, and he needs her help to prove he's innocent. After all they once shared, how can she say no? 
The attraction flares between them, and getting involved with a suspect is a huge risk. But the more time Cat spends with Jay, the stronger the tug on her heart. He is the same caring, irresistible man she remembers. Yet she can't let her emotions interfere with the case—solving it is top priority. But as she digs deeper, she discovers Jay has secrets that may jeopardize any possible future together.


The Seduction of Emily – eKensington

Seduction is a wicked game, and no one plays it better than the devilish Will Samson in Rachel Brimble's captivating new novel. . .
Since girlhood, Emily Darson has accepted that she will marry Nicholas, the son of her father's trusted business partner. The marriage contract safeguards her family legacy, Emily's fortune, and everything she values--except her independence. Only when a sinfully handsome scoundrel enters her life does Emily realize quite how much a loveless match will cost her.
Will Samson has advanced from expert pickpocket to confidence trickster of the highest caliber. Now he has come to Bath to exact vengeance on the man who destroyed his mother--the man Emily will soon marry. But from his first glimpse of the enemy's bewitching, spirited fiancée, Will's plan changes.
Amid the ballrooms and salons of elegant society, heated glances explode into scandalous kisses. Revenge is sweet, but surrender will be irresistible. . .



Well our time is up, thank you for visiting and taking the time to know the authors. As always support them by buying their books and give them feedback. If you do not have something good to say keep it to yourself or mail the person. At the end we are sensitive creatures that takes every ugly critic to heart since it is a book born from our hearts. 
Thanks once again Rachel for your willingness to share with me and the readers.
I wish you all the best.

Next on In the Limelight with...
April 21, 2013
D.A Serra




No comments:

Post a Comment