Sunday, May 12, 2013

Interview with Nancy S. Thompson

In the Limelight with…

Nancy S. Thompson 



Thanks for being part of my blog celebration Nancy. It is good to catch up with you. I have read The Mistaken and loved the book. Suspense filled romance till the end.
You can find my 5 Star review on Amazon HERE


Author’s Interview Questions
1. Are you famous is the general question I get when family and friends introduces me to their friends. It always left me with a pause as quick comebacks filters through my mind but ending up saying something like ….”Oh gee thanks” and give a shy smile. (a)Does this happen to you and (b) what do you say?

It’s funny how people automatically assume you’ve achieved some amount of fame just because you’ve managed to publish a book. But the truth is, unless you are already famous, that kind of fame is rare, and if it does happen, it’s usually after a very long time. It’s quite the daunting task to get your name and book noticed by the masses. So, no, while people do perk up when I tell them I’m a published author, no one has really heard of me yet. I’m working on it though! 

2. In general do you like to talk about your writing and published books or are you very close-lipped about it? If no, why?

Of course, I love to talk about my writing and especially my books, both my published one, The Mistaken, and LEVERAGE, the sequel I’m working on now. People are really interested in hearing about it. That is, everyone except my family. Heh heh. 

3. What book/s are you currently writing and what is it about?

LEVERAGE is a continuation of The Mistaken. I’m not done yet, so I don’t have a tightly written synopsis, but here’s the gist: After Tyler Karras (the protagonist in The Mistaken) causes the collapse of the Solntsevskaya Bratva, a sect of the Russian Mafia in San Francisco, Grigory, the son of its now-deceased leader (Dmitri), returns to regain his legacy as the new Pakhan or Godfather, while also avenging his father’s death. But the local Bratva has dissolved and their power transferred to other Bratva in California, so Grigory (or Greg) uses Tyler, and those Ty loves most, as leverage to not only take out the new Bratva generals and establish his own leadership, but he does so while keeping his own hands clean and therefore untouchable by the FBI. Ty, on the other hand—who will do anything to keep his new wife, Hannah, and her son, Conner, safe—is manipulated by Greg to help reclaim his legacy. Greg holds a pregnant Hannah as collateral until Tyler does as Greg bids. But it’s taken Ty years to come to terms with what he did following the death of his first wife, and he’s vowed to remain on the right side of the law. Will Ty return to the dark side, break his moral code, and kill as ordered to save Conner, Hannah, and their unborn child? 

Blurb for The Mistaken:

All Tyler Karras wants is to enjoy life with his expectant bride; what he gets instead is a graveside seat at her funeral. With the woman who killed her uncharged and still free, all Ty wants now is revenge. His brother, Nick, has dangerous connections and suggests a sadistic plan: grab the woman responsible and hand her over to his associates—sex-traffickers in San Francisco’s Russian Mafia. They offer Ty more than he dreamed possible. In exchange for the woman, they’ll finally let his brother leave the business for good—with his debt wiped clean and his heart still beating. There’s just one problem: Ty kidnaps the wrong woman. Now he must protect Hannah Maguire from the very enemy he's unleashed, but the Russians are holding Nick as leverage to force Ty to complete their deal. Caught in a no-win situation, Ty must find a way to save himself, his brother, and the woman, but with the Russian Mafia, even two out of three makes for very long odds. 

4. Why this particular genre?

I love psychological thrillers, but I also love romance, so it was only natural to combine the two into tales of romantic suspense. That way, I get a lot of action, a ticking clock, plus romance and steamy sex. 




 5. What inspires or motivates you to write?

Many things inspire me: real life, the news, movies, but more than anything, music. I listen mostly dark, gritty alternative rock by bands such as Three Days Grace, Smile Empty Soul, and Alice in Chains. 

 6. What is the writing process like for you?

When I get an idea, I jot down notes which I compile into an outline. But my outlines are so complete and long, they’re really more like a handwritten first draft, albeit rough and sans dialogue and setting, but still pretty complete. I follow this roadmap and typically spend each weekday in my writer’s chair typing away until the hubs comes home from work. 

 7. What is the best and/ or worst part of being a writer? The best is writing.

 The worst is the marketing. 

 8. Any advice for struggling writers?

As Winston Churchill once said, “Never quit!” It’s a tough business, but you can’t give in to the rejection. Keep writing, keep learning, keep trying.

 9. What is your favorite genre to read or write? Psychological thrillers. 

10. Favorite author? How about two? John Hart and Lisa Regan.



11. Do you have a favorite spot to read and write?

I write at my desk in my home office and I read anywhere and everywhere. 

12. What do you like to do when not writing?

I love to watch movies and gritty TV shows like The Killing and The Following, but I also love to cook and bake. 




13. Do you have a bucket list and would you share at least two things on it?

No, I don’t keep a formal bucket list, per se, but I do want to travel, something I haven’t been able to do much of in the last few years except to take my son on his college tour. I spent so much of my youth and twenties leading an adventurous lifestyle (white water rafting, snow and water skiing, rock climbing, racing, etc.) so there’s not much left for me to do that I haven’t done already. Lucky me! 





14. What have you done so far on this list?

Er, I don’t think traveling to and from Seattle to ASU in Phoenix counts. 

15. Most daring thing or experience you have done you would like to share?

I used to guide white water rafts down the south fork of the American River near Sacramento. Mostly class III rapids, but it does have a handful of class IV, which can be dangerous, and in which I’ve been thrown into more than once. And I’ve skied my fair share of black diamond runs, as well. 

16. This or that questions:

 • Coffee or Tea - Coffee! I live in Seattle, after all. 
• Sweet or sour – Sweet! I love chocolate. 
• Home make meal or takeouts – Mostly home-made, but I do like takeout every once in a while. 
• Winter or summer – Summer! I HATE the cold!!!! (I’m from Calfornia.) 
• Night-owl or Early-Bird – Both, really, but I prefer the late night. (I don’t sleep much.) 
• Telephone or visits – While I’d prefer to visit, I typically use the phone. 
• Which social network do you prefer? Facebook is my favorite. 
• Blogger or website? Blogger (http://nancysthompson.blogspot.com/) 
• What does your family say about your career? Supportive or Clueless?

 Well, they are very supportive, but they’re also quite clueless about it. My husband and son still have not read my book, though my mom, brothers, and an aunt have, that I know of. 

Moto/wisdom in life you live by.
 “Never quit.” ~ Winston Churchill 

Contact details and buy links of the newest books you would like the readers to know.

You can find The Mistaken here: Amazon Kindle Amazon Paperback,  Nook,    Barnes & Noble paperback, Kobo, iBooks, Amazon UK Kindle, Amazon UK Paperback, Sapphire Star Publishing

You can find Nancy here: My blog, My Goodreads page, My Amazon author’s page, My Sapphire Star Publishing page


What an awesome interview thank you for sharing Nancy. I can not wait to read the sequel. Like you I love a good suspense story combined with romance.

Please do support the authors.
How?: Buying, writing a review, telling others about the book and connect with them.

Net time on In the Limelight with
Kristen Bearisto
May 15, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment