Sunday, May 5, 2013

Interview with Vicky Savage


In the Limelight with... 
Vicky Savage



Lynelle, your new blog is beautiful, and what a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for inviting me to be a part of it.

Thanks Vicky it is really good to have you here as well, to catch up and listen what you have to say. It is a honor to know you. 
I read Vicky's series The Transcender Trilogy and really loved both the books, can not wait for Book 3.
You can read my reviews here for Transcender: First-Timer #1 and Streaming Stars #2 

1.      Q. Are you famous is the general question I get when family and friends introduces me to their friends. It always left me with a pause as quick comebacks filters through my mind but ending up saying something like ….”Oh gee thanks” and give a shy smile. (a) Does this happen to you and (b) what do you say?

A.    Funny, I literally never get asked that question. I guess people think since they haven’t seen me on Oprah I must not be famous. The question I always get asked is: “What did you write?” Like if I tell them the title, they’ll know exactly which book it is. Usually I answer by explaining that it’s a young adult fantasy trilogy, and unless that’s the genre they normally read, they likely haven’t heard of it. In the future, though, if I ever do get asked if I’m famous, I intend to smile and say “Yes!”

2.      Q. In general do you like to talk about your writing and published books or are you very close-lip about it? If no why?

A.    I talk about my books and writing way too much with my family. They’ve taken to wearing ear plugs around the house. But with strangers, I usually don’t speak about my writing and books unless asked. To be honest, the reason is because it sometimes leads to uncomfortable questions like “Oh, have you been on the New York Times bestseller list?” or “When does the movie come out?”

3.      Q. What book/s are you currently writing and what is it about?

A.    My current WIP is Book 3 of the Transcender Trilogy, Illluminosity In this conclusion to the story, our heroine, Jaden Beckett, faces her greatest challenges to date. I love letting her bite off more than she can chew and then seeing what happens. **sinister laugh** We’re still working on the book cover. It will feature Jaden’s brilliant green eyes, as the other two covers have, but the rest is a surprise.

4.      Q. Why this particular genre?

A.    In my opinion, fantasy is the greatest genre in which to write! You can live out your wildest dreams on paper. No limits exist to the amazing worlds, exotic creatures and harrowing situations that can be cooked up by the untethered mind. Also, I’ve always wanted to possess a super power of some sort, besides making a mean chocolate soufflé, so I gave my heroine the power to travel among parallel worlds. How cool would that be!


     5.      Q. What inspire or motivate you to write?

     A.    I was originally inspired to write for young adults after hosting several book clubs for the students at my son’s school. It was so stirring to see how stimulated and enthusiastic these young minds were after having read a great book. What motivates me these days is the characters I’ve already created banging on the inside of my skull, demanding to have their stories told.

6.      Q. What is the writing process like for you?

A.    Now that I’ve perfected my style a little, I start out with a rough outline of the story—it’s more like a running plot summary hitting all the high points. But, it gets me from A to Z, so I always know what happens next. There’s a lot of comfort in that. I try (but frequently fail) to stick to this routine: Scoot my family out the door at seven a.m., workout for an hour, meditate for thirty minutes, take care of social media obligations, and then write for as long as I can before being interrupted by life.

7.      Q. What is the best and/ or worst part of being a writer?

A.    The best part of being a writer is the appreciation I get from my readers. Occasionally, I’ll receive a fan letter through the email from someone who thinks my books are really great. It makes all the struggling worthwhile. **smiles** The worst part of being a writer is having one of those dark days of the soul when I’m absolutely convinced I have no writing skills whatsoever, and this was all just a giant mistake.

8.      Q. Any advice for struggling writers?

A.    Just finish it! Get that first draft down on paper, from start to finish, no matter how gnarled and ugly it may be. You don’t have to show it to anybody, and you can turn it into a brilliant piece of writing later. Don’t give up!

9.      Q. What is your favorite genre to read or write?

A.    I love reading young adult books of all kinds. I realize YA is a category not a genre, but within that category I’ll read just about anything.

10.  Q. Favorite author?

A.    That’s a real tough one. There are so many great YA writers out there right now whom I admire, I’d be hard pressed to choose, so I’m going to go for one of the classics and say Mark Twain. I still marvel at his sense of humor and witty prose.



11.  Q. Do you have a favorite spot to read and write? 

A.    I have a little study upstairs in my house where my desk overlooks the water and my favorite oak tree. It’s very peaceful there. Photo attached (usually not that clean).



12.  Q. What do you like to do when not writing? 

A.    When I’m not writing, I love to travel to new places and spend time with my husband, children and dogs! Kind of boring, but suits me fine.

13.  Q. Do you have a bucket list and would you share at least two things on it?

A.    I don’t have a formal “bucket list,” but on my imaginary list my two top items would be 1. Own a villa in Tuscany; and 2. Date George Clooney (with my husband’s permission, of course). **smile**

14.  Q. What have you done so far on this list?

A.    Two things I’ve done so far that would be on that list are: 1. Hiked the Cinque Terre on the Italian Rivera with my sister and our families; and 2. Had a romantic dinner at the Jules Verne Restaurant in the Eiffel Tower.

15.  Q. Most daring thing or experience you have done you would like to share?

A.    Unquestionably the most daring thing I’ve ever done is writing a novel and publishing it myself without ever having taken a creative writing course, instead of going back into the practice of law (which any sane person would have done).

16.  Q. This or that questions:

·         Coffee or TeaCoffee (preferably Hazelnut) nice :)
·         Sweet or sourCan I choose salty??? sure! :)
·         Home make meal or takeoutsTakeouts, please.
·         Winter or summerDefinitely a summer girl!
·         Night-owl or Early-BirdNone of the above.
·         Telephone or visitsTelephone (preferably text)
·         Which social network do you prefer? Twitter
·         Blogger or website? Currently website, but I’m completely redesigning my website and starting a blog in April. Wish me luck! ** smile**
17.  What does your family say about your career? Supportive or Clueless-- Unwaveringly supportive.

Personal motto:  

You are loved and cherished forever. You have nothing to fear. There is nothing you can do wrong.” Eben Alexander, M.D. from Proof of Heaven


Contact Info:

Book Info:


   
TRANSCENDER: First-Timer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DR94EI










Again, thank you so much, Lynelle, for allowing me to visit with your readers.








It was a great pleasure Vicky, I am looking forward to Book 3 and good luck with the website. I know it seems difficult but once you get the hang of it, it will be great. To me it feels like an extension of who I am and meeting knew people the cherry on the cake. **smile**

As always please support the authors, buying their books, giving them good reviews on Amazon and Goodreads and tell others about them. And connect with us, we love to hear from readers.

Next time on In the Limelight with...

Michel Prince
May 08, 2013


Until then


No comments:

Post a Comment